Celebrating Mathematics at CUNY

On Friday, May 15, the Office of Academic Affairs hosted a reception celebrating math education at CUNY and honoring the student winners of the 2015 CUNY Math Challenge as well as the faculty of the inaugural Calculus Boot Camp.

In her opening remarks, Interim Executive Vice Chancellor and University Provost Julia Wrigley welcomed the audience and noted the importance of math at CUNY. She spoke about Math Matters, a university-wide initiative supporting all levels of math education, from remediation to pre-calculus to the highest levels of scholarship. The Math Challenge and Calculus Boot Camp, she said, are two examples of how Math Matters is promoting excellence and achievement in the teaching and learning of math at CUNY.

CUNY's 2015 Math Challenge Grand Prize Winner Gabor Horowitz, Brooklyn College, with Ted Brown, Executive Director, CUNY Institute for Software Design and Development

CUNY’s 2015 Math Challenge Grand Prize Winner Gabor Horowitz, Brooklyn College, with Ted Brown, Executive Director, CUNY Institute for Software Design and Development

CUNY Math Challenge Committee Chair and Queens College Professor Ted Brown, who is also the executive director of CUNY Institute of Software Design and Development, spoke about the sixth annual Math Challenge, which engaged hundreds of undergraduate students from CUNY campuses across the city. He explained how this year’s competition took place in four rounds, featuring questions of increasing degrees of difficulty. The first and third rounds were conducted online, and the second and fourth consisted of in-person exams. Twenty-one winners, hailing from ten different community and senior colleges, received cash prizes and were presented with certificates of achievement during the reception. Grand Prize winner Gabor Horowitz, a senior at Brooklyn College, spoke about his love for math problems and his appreciation for the Math Challenge as an opportunity to be inspired by fellow CUNY students. See the full list of winners and their bios.

Mari Watanabe-Rose, a senior research associate in CUNY’s Central Office, spoke about the inaugural Calculus Boot Camp, which took place in July and August 2014 and provided hundreds of CUNY students with the opportunity to enhance their math skills before enrolling in calculus courses in the fall semester. Watanabe-Rose presented certificates of appreciation to faculty members from Baruch College, Brooklyn College, City College, LaGuardia Community College, Lehman College and New York City College of Technology, whose hard work and dedication to their students were essential to making this program’s first year successful. Professor Mahdi Majidi-Zolbanin from LaGuardia Community College spoke about his experience with Calculus Boot Camp, particularly how it encouraged him to think differently about his approach to teaching calculus and ways of helping students grasp the concepts in a short time frame.

The Math Reception highlighted just two of the many ways that CUNY’s students and faculty are engaging with mathematics. Learn more about these and other math initiatives at CUNY.

53 Responses to Celebrating Mathematics at CUNY

1. Keeping our mind up for the closing debates of the tasks in a subtle way. He or she would really worry about this matter but don”t specifically be in a subtle way.

2. Konveksi Tas says:

Konveksi Tas Jogja is the best place to find bags and seminar kits

3. toto365pro says:

Masks are only to be used by people in a region experiencing an outbreak, health care workers treating patients, and people who are experiencing flu-like symptoms. That being said, if you are sick and are experiencing flu-like symptoms, talk to your health care provider for guidance and best practices for your unique case. A mask could potentially help avoid the spread of the virus from you to others.

4. If I learned anything from this crisis it’s that time is unpredictably short, and if I was willing to risk her health, I should also be prepared to commit to spending the rest of our lives together.

5. oncasinosite says:

Dividend rate “Toto” vs. easy-to-use “Proto”
    sports Toto, which increases the prize money, is divided into a Toto game with a fixed refund rate and a proto-game in which the odds are announced in advance.

6. Celebrating mathematics at cuny thanks you so much
    Konveksi Tas Bandung

7. Konveksi Tas says:

Konveksi Tas Jogja is a best place to find some bags and seminar kits

8. Want to fix your erectile dysfunction issues? Consider buying Buy Trimix Injection Online. which is one of the safe injection penile therapy. Dosage strengths of the trimix injections should be considered if the medication is not fixing your issues. Products are available from the top brand’s so you can try to know about the Buy Trimix Injection Online and Trimix Prescription Online.
    Buy Trimix Injections online

9. India Best Toilet Cubicle for Office, House, Mall, Bank, etc. Best Designing Cubicle and best all time.
    https://www.cpmsystems.in/toilet-cubicles.html

10. Naija Mp3 says:

This is a great article, that I really enjoyed reading.
    I agree with what you say about the standard show
    of appreciation, but as you say, many of us are
    taught to just be polite. Once again thank for the update, greetings from Fakaza

11. Thank you very much for giving space to us to express our feeling and thoughts about above information. I think you will keep updating and changing these information time to time if there is need to change.

12. You’ve been very helpful. My sincere thanks.

13. pabrik tas says:

Wow this is so cool, i like mathematic because i am programmer

14. konveksi tas says:

Wonderfull post thank you for sharing konveksi tas

15. johan says:

wow selamat untuk Mahasiswa dan Mahasiswi untuk kemenangan Math Challenge. Bagi kalian yang suka dengan Kemeja Pantai dari button down mempunyai koleksi yang unik dan lengkap.

16. Directly in the wake of scrutinizing this blog We are very fulfilled just on the grounds that this site is giving generous mastery to support watchers.

Much obliged for the perform alongside expound on something truly prized to my feeling. I ask that you resume look at my own website page with My accomplice and I watch for the following articles. rafting citarik

17. Anam says:

I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work from https://trifiajaya.com/

18. wow selamat untuk mahasiswa CUNY , jika mahasiswa CUNY membutuhkan kaos distro original terbaru silahkan berkunjung ke website kami

19. harga city tour jogja bersama naraharya trans wisata dijamin murah dengan kualitas layanan terbaik.

20. Success for students and lecturers 🙂

21. received cash prizes and were presented with certificates of achievement during the reception. love it!

22. wow, thats amazing. how beautiful it is, m very glad to hear that. regard

23. casa delia says:

I Like it! This is a great article, that I really enjoyed reading. I agree with what you say about the standard show of appreciation

24. hentaikuindo says:

This is a great article, that I really enjoyed reading. I agree with what you say about the standard show of appreciation, but as you say, many of us are taught to just be polite. I particularly like how you’ve given us ideas and suggestions on how we can try and stand out amongst all the Twitter noise. I will definitely be putting some of these suggestions into practice, and will share with you how I get on. Much appreciated (and trying really hard not to say TY!). hentaikuindo

25. Good article, ile with your writing style paket outbound jakarta

26. marimas says:

marimas bikin adem, tidak bikin batuk marimas bikin adem, tidak bikin batuk marimas bikin adem, tidak bikin batuk

27. karangan bunga karangan bunga karangan bunga

28. tempat wisata di singapura : tempat wisata.biz.id tempat wisata di singapura : tempat wisata.biz.id tempat wisata di singapura : tempat wisata.biz.id

29. nice and informative website , may always provide the best news, greetings from konveksi kaos bandung

30. wonderfull blog, i love this

31. kubah masjid says:

success for the university, the students create a quality and beneficial for many people, like math that can be used in everyday life. jasa seo medan

32. the subjects of mathematics is the most widely make the brain to be more logical thinking, so the celebration or mathematics olympiad nice to go ahead.
    elken spirulina

33. I am actually thankful to the owner of this site who has shared this impressive paragraph at here.

34. We relay need to improve our way to teach for the better result for our students.

35. The capital of North Sumatra province is Medan. Medan is the largest metropolitan city outside of Java and is the third largest city in Indonesia after Jakarta and Surabaya. Medan into the gate region of western Indonesia. In the city of Medan can be found several large buildings and magnificent save historical heritage and noble religious values. The attractiveness of the city of Medan make this city as one of the most popular tourist spots in the entire archipelago.

36. Terima kasih banyak informasinya, anda bisa melihat informasi tentang suzuki disini, Suzuki Solo

37. dutastudio says:

Good article, I like this article because the article is in accordance with my job

38. im really love mathematics, your sharing about this is really cool, thank you very much

39. really great information dude, youre really helpfull

40. roberto gil says:

Love it. Great post.

41. i gree if many ways that CUNY’s students and faculty are engaging with mathematics

nice info

salam,,

42. Desy H. says:

Wonderful.. It’s a nice post…

43. Sounds like an amazing gathering of emerging and veteran mathematicians at CUNY. Congrats to all, and thanks to Academic Affairs for hosting!