Analysis of a Calculus Test – Part I

I gave a test a couple of weeks ago in my Calculus I class. The syllabus covered limits and derivatives. Among other problems, I always ask students to write down the derivative formulas and then give an assortment of derivative problems. Here is the relevant segment of the test:

TestProblems4-5

I noticed a correlation (0.72) between knowing the derivative formulas and finding the derivatives of more complicated functions correctly. Not that correlation implies causation or anything, just that there is one.

CorBetweenFormulasAndProblems

Without the outlier on the left, the correlation is 0.56, which is less, but still notable.

Would you say knowing formulas is predictive of solving derivative problems correctly on a test? Most calculus instructors would agree. It makes sense to commit to memory some of the routine formulas and rules, at least for the duration of the course, even if they are forgotten later. It becomes easier to participate in classroom discussions and speeds up doing the homework.

However, to answer the question more accurately I would have to give another class a test and allow them to have a  formula sheet. Then I could compare the test scores of the two classes to see if one class did significantly better than the other. And what if one class just happens to have stronger students than the other? Then I would have to repeat the experiment several times to draw a meaningful conclusion. Still, there may be completely unexpected lurking variables.

Nonetheless, here is a correlation and scatter plot for what it is worth. I like to see that group of points on the right end of the graph. It means there are a good number of students learning what I am expecting them to learn.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Analysis of a Calculus Test – Part I

1. Heikpop says:

However, to answer the question more accurately I would have to give another class a test and allow them to have a formula sheet. Then I could compare the test scores of the two classes to see if one class did significantly better than the other. And what if one class just happens to have stronger students than the other? Then I would have to repeat the experiment several times to draw a meaningful conclusion. Still, there may be completely

2. DramaNim says:

cunymathblog.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2013/04/08/analysis-of-a-calculus-test-part-i/

3. Nasty C says:

I really love this post!!!

4. Wizkid says:

Thanks for the share but, Download Free African Mp3 and Latest Songs from Top South African, Nigerian, Ghanaian and East African Artists. Stream and download high quality mp3 and listen to popular playlists.

5. jeniuspoker says:

jeniuspoker merupakan daftar situs idn poker online terbaik tahun 2020 karena berhasil mempertahankan keamanan dan kenyamanan bermain kepada membernya sejak idn poker versi lama loh..

Jangan ketinggalan meraih bonus seumur hidup dan hadiah global jackpot yang turun setiap harinya. Pendaftaran akun baru gratis tanpa di pungut biaya!!

Web resmi –> http://162.0.225.20/~jeniuspoker/

6. WLA says:

l in students being able to be successful in doing problems like those in 5. is that they are comfortable with the pattern recognition skills (parsing the question if you like) so they can te

7. Am a fan of your site, keep it up

8. This article really helped thanks web admin

9. Download Mp3 says:

Perfect piece of work i appreciate your works

10. Zoombaze says:

Am a fan of your site, keep it up

11. harri sbritt says:

To facilitate the revision of the contents in the following sections we will see (Glaser & Straus, The discovery of grounded theory: strategies for qualitative research., 1967):

12. harri sbritt says:

up wearing a suit jacket and carry a wallet.” “Some people have a clear idea of what they would like to be, but this is not enough, because identity requires social validation”

13. I noticed a correlation (0.72) between knowing the derivative formulas and finding the derivatives of more complicated functions correctly. Not that correlation implies causation or anything, just that there is one.

14. afrirhythms says:

Your story-telling style is witty, keep up the good work!

15. flexy says:

Thanks for this article, it really clarify a lot of things

16. Betajam says:

Wow i did not think i can find it easy like this, thank so much

17. Drake says:

Download Latest 2020 Foreign HipHop music, HipHop news, HipHop video, HipHop Album & Eps , Mp3 Download on Yahiphop.com

18. Sho madjozi says:

Download Latest South Africa Songs, videos, album & eps For Free mp3 Download Read News

19. I can now understand

20. Awadi Music says:

sich besonders Lammfell oder das Fell ist ausgesprochen soft und zur gleichen Zeit schonend für das

21. Rehab Mp3 says:

bietet sich besonders oder das Fell ist ausgesprochen soft und zur gleichen Zeit schonend für das Pferd.

22. Joann Josh says:

Jetzt bietet sich besonders Lammfell Der Stoff oder das Fell ist ausgesprochen soft und zur gleichen Zeit schonend für das Pferd.

23. Jetzt bietet sich besonders Lammfell an. Der Stoff oder das Fell ist ausgesprochen soft und zur gleichen Zeit schonend für das Pferd.

24. aquapark.io says:

correlation is 0.56, which is less, but still notable.

Would you say knowing formulas is predictive of solving derivative problems correctly on a test? Most calculus instructors would agr

25. agario says:

26. film izle says:

o in my Calculus I class. The syllabus covered limits and derivatives. Among other problems, I always ask students to write down the derivative formulas and then give an assortment of d

27. hole io says:

ks ago in my Calculus I class. The syllabus covered limits and derivatives. Among other problems, I always ask students to write down the derivative formulas and then give an assortment of deri

28. nasty c says:

latest nasty c songs download

29. Flexyhype says:

ne class did significantly better than the other. And what if one class just happens to have stronger students than the other? Then I would have to

30. ne class did significantly better than the other. And what if one class just happens to have stronger students than the other? Then I would have to

31. this with this light before. This article truly did switch topic goes http://bandarxl.xyz/

32. Pulau Seribu says:

nice post.. i will learn latter..

33. great post you have guys and i really like it.. please visit us at http://jampoker.co

34. I like it and i will share it to others. Join us at http://bolanet88.biz

35. Thanks for sharing this nice post. just follow http://lagapoker.net

36. you have a great post and i like it.. please join us at http://goopoker.com

37. Idn Poker says:

One of the great and useful post, i really like it. Thanks for sharing this nice post. Great efforts made here keep the efforts up and thanks for the efforts. visit http://pokernet88.co

38. thank you your article very help me, your article highly recommended once

39. While this subject can be very touchy for most people, my opinion is that there has to be a middle or common ground that we all can find. I do appreciate that you’ve added relevant and intelligent commentary here though. Thanks!

40. Pingback: Analysis of a Calculus Test – Part 2 | CUNYMath Blog

41. Thanks for reading. That is a great observation. In fact, a student wrote on her test that she had difficulty figuring out when to use product rule versus chain rule. I will add a segment to my homeworks and tests to address this explicitly.

42. In my experience what is most critical in students being able to be successful in doing problems like those in 5. is that they are comfortable with the pattern recognition skills (parsing the question if you like) so they can tell if they will need the product rule, the quotient rule, the chain rule in its “full glory,” just the power rule version of the chain rule (as is the case for 5b), or a mixture of these rules.