Mysterium Cosmographicum

Why study mathematics? This is a catechism of mathematics education. The correct answer has something to do with the prevalence of mathematics, its applicability, its beauty, and its power.

What kind of person studies mathematics, and why? Again, there are plenty of answers. The student of mathematics, like students of other sciences, is curious, but patient and dogged. She or he is motivated by a fascination with the intricate patterns that make up the universe.

There is something to these inoffensive responses. But they are also highly sanitized and at odds with a realistic view of human nature. I can’t help but feel that when we advance them we are demonstrating a little bit of hypocrisy. A lot is being swept under the rug.

I posit the following four sources of motivation to study pure mathematics. They are not meant to be mutually exclusive, or very original.

1. The entelechy of genius
  2. An urge toward vandalism
  3. The transcendental
  4. Shibumi

Let me briefly expound on these.

1)

This beautiful word, entelechy, as I understand it, means the state of something expressing its own inherent virtue. By the entelechy of genius I mean that there are certain great personalities, profoundly gifted, whose natural state seems to be in expressing their own special powers. I think a lovely quote to pair with this notion is the following well known morsel by François Arago.

Euler calculated without apparent effort, as men breathe, or as eagles sustain themselves in the wind.

While any number of famous mathematicians could be put down as especially expressing this category of motivation, it brings to mind the greatest of the great: Archimedes, Euler, and Gauss.

I am inclined also to add Ramanujan, Erdos, and Saharon Shelah for a bit of contemporary flavor. They demonstrate a lifelong torrent of mathematical activity– mathematics seems to emanate from them without obvious effort.

2)

This is the attention-seeking form of self expression. It includes creation for the sake of self-aggrandizement, and domination.

3)

This is the idea that there are truths about the universe that can be discovered, expressed or proven in mathematical form. Here is Russell explaining this to be the source of his own motivation (plug your ears for the sex parts):

In this category I include all Platonists, and most mathematicians who lived before the 19th century. Astrology and numerology, as well as sacred or hermetic geometry can go in this category.

Pleasure that comes from contemplating the infinite should also be included.

4)

The wonderful Japanese word shibumi can be summarized as referring to a form of harsh but sublime beauty. I believe it is an excellent word for characterizing the precise sense in which mathematics is beautiful. It is true that some visual components such as fractals, julia sets, and these amazing complex plots have a kind of rococo and/or psychedelic quality. However, all of them are manifestations of expressions and processes that are very simple.

I believe we partake of all the above motivational sources when we undergo an episode of mathematical creativity.

How many of these four kinds of mathematical motivation are available to our students? Which would we want them to have? The vast majority of our student body (or of any population) is not comprised of geniuses. We hope that our students will not become mathematicians out of masochism, or a savage urge for intellectual accomplishment and domination. This leaves the transcendent and shibumi as socially acceptable, or “healthy” motivational sources we can impart.

The aesthetic answer, I think, is well represented in traditional answers to the question of what makes mathematics worthwhile. This may be based in the eloquence with which Hardy, a devoted secularist, expressed these views in A Mathematician’s Apology (ff pg 15).

What I think is unjust, and what rankles with me as overcautious, is the suppression of the importance of the transcendent as mathematical motivation. It is true that many mathematicians were seemingly motivated by a simple desire to discover theorems. But many of them were motivated by the urge to penetrate the veil of reality, to discover or understand the divine, or even to acquire godlike qualities. Many people, from the Pythagoreans to Plato, to Pascal, Descartes, Newton, Cantor, Weyl, Russell and Gödel have either compared the consolations of mathematics to those of religion, or else claimed to have extracted actual knowledge of the divine through mathematics.

One of the great popular math books, The Mathematical Experience by Davis and Hersh, clearly takes as its model The Varieties of Religious Experience, by William James. In this book there is an amusing caricature of the “ideal mathematician” whose motivations realistically reflect what motivates true mathematical activity.

To talk about the ideal mathematician at all, we must have a name for his field. Let’s call it, for instance, “non-Riemannian hypersquares.”

He is labeled by his field, by how much he publishes, and especially by whose work he uses, and by whose taste he follows in his choice of problems.

He studies objects whose existence is unsuspected by all except a handful of his fellows. Indeed, if one who is not an initiate asks him what he studies, he is incapable of showing or telling what it is. It is necessary to go through an arduous apprenticeship of several years to understand the theory to which he is devoted. Only then would one’s mind be prepared to receive his explanation of what he is studying. Short of that, one could be given a “definition,” which would be so recondite as to defeat all attempts at comprehension.

The objects which our mathematician studies were unknown before the twentieth century; most likely, they were unknown even thirty years ago. Today they are the chief interest in life for a few dozen (at most, a few hundred) of his comrades. He and his comrades do not doubt, however, that non-Riemannian hypersquares have a real existence as definite and objective as that of the Rock of Gibraltar or Halley’s comet. In fact, the proof of the existence of non-Riemannian hypersquares is one of their main achievements, whereas the existence of the Rock of Gibraltar is very probable, but not rigorously proved.

It has never occurred to him to question what the word “exist” means here. One could try to discover its meaning by watching him at work and observing what the word “exist” signifies operationally. In any case, for him the non-Riemannian hypersquare exists, and he pursues it with passionate devotion. He spends all his days in contemplating it. His life is successful to the extent that he can discover new facts about it.

I do not believe (nor do Davis and Hersh really believe) that a typical mathematician is as naïve as their ideal researcher. But something about their characterization rings true; all the greatest mathematicians I know are fanatical Platonists. Without the conviction that one is prying open the doors to heaven, why would you passionately devote your life to adding a new block to an already grotesque mass of inaccessible scribbles? Of course many people believe two things at once—as Davis and Hersh remark, many mathematicians are Platonists in the week and formalists on Sundays.

You cannot hypnotize a student into developing a badger-like constitution, but you can easily interest him or her in the mysteries of the universe, of which many are highly accessible. We may not be able to spend much class time on the hieroglyphic monad or peruse Gödel’s ontological proof for the existence of God, but there are mysteries of a more secular character.

What, for instance, is the solution to the problem of induction (in the sense of Hume)? How and when is inductive reasoning correct? What is probability? What is causality?

Does the infinite exist potentially, or actually?

What is the relation of the continuous to the discrete? Are there infinitesimal quantities? Are there infinitely large quantities?

What is computable? What is knowable? Why and to what extent is mathematical argumentation reliable?

I think it must be the case, as it certainly is in my own case, that these questions or similar ones are the true source of the interest we have in our research specializations.

In the current mood of postmodern agnosticism as to the meaning of mathematics, the positivist face we publicly wear as scientists, and the white knuckled secularism that is universal in modern education, it is perhaps difficult to relax enough to reveal the incomprehensible vortex of uncertainty that remains at the core of our intellectual lives. But the mesmeric allure of that vortex, whether true or illusory, is a longstanding source of motivation for scientific endeavor, and we should consider sharing it with our students.

73 Responses to Mysterium Cosmographicum

1. sòng bạc says:

Hello, I am one of the most impressed people in your article. sòng bạc I’m very curious about how you write such a good article. Are you an expert on this subject? I think so. Thank you again for allowing me to read these posts, and have a nice day today. Thank you.

2. gqjksadj says:

It’s scientific. It would be great if we can meet again here.토토

3. bqsza says:

Hello, everyone. I prepared a safe and useful web page.
    I think it’d be nice if we could do it together. Thank you.토토

4. gqjksadjqq says:

It’s really great! It’s my first time writing such a good message.
    But I’d like to introduce a web page for you.
    If you want to use it safely, here it is.

토토

5. That’s a really impressive new idea! 안전한놀이터 It touched me a lot. I would love to hear your opinion on my site. Please come to the site I run once and leave a comment. Thank you.

6. thanks for articles sharing

7. tnks alot for ur nice site t and very use full commnets . in this site by reading comments R in understood who comes in to in page an share commnets and passage they are very study man T because impressive comments

8. Great Job . thanks you.

9. 안전토토사이트 says:

Muchas gracias por la publicación del blog. Tengo muchas ganas de leer más. Realmente grandioso.

https://www.safetotosite.pro

10. thanks for this really helpful for me as we are in a new generation all things change in a blink of eyes. 바카라사이트

11. This article would help us as a citizens in this country how make it more better.
    바카라사이트

12. 토토사이트핫 says:

Site impressionante, feedback distinto que posso abordar. Estou avançando e posso me candidatar ao meu emprego atual, que é muito agradável, mas preciso expandir ainda mais.

https://www.totositehot.com

13. Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and new initiatives in the same niche. Blog gave us useful information to work. You have done an amazing job! 메이저토토사이트 Thank you very much. Can I refer to your post on my website? Your post touched me a lot and helped me a lot. If you have any questions, please visit my site and read what kind of posts I am posting. I am sure it will be interesting.

14. safetoto says:

Eu realmente valorizo ​​este excelente post que você nos acomodou. Garanto que isso seria útil para uma grande parte da população em geral.

https://safetoto-ssitepro.jouwweb.nl/

15. totositehotcom says:

Saya direkomendasikan situs web ini oleh sepupu saya. Saya m
    tidak yakin apakah posting ini ditulis olehnya sebagai orang lain
    tahu seperti rinci tentang kesulitan saya. Anda luar biasa! Terima kasih!

https://wwwtotositehotcom.jouwweb.nl/

16. 토토
    this is interesting topic that’s needs to be tackle . this site will bring you to the fullest

17. totossafe says:

É incrível fazer uma visita rápida a este site e ler as opiniões de todos os colegas
    sobre o tema deste artigo, embora também esteja ansioso para obter familiaridade.

https://totossafe-guidecom.jouwweb.nl/

18. nca12 says:

The first time I looked at that website it was like going to the hagga-sophia. 제왕카지노

19. nca12 says:

differing teams of produced items as outlined by what skill you’ve opted and also by ascending level of skill inside the crafting skill too from the scale of 1-400 skill.

20. nca12 says:

post, and for raising the bar for the CUNYMath Blog. I love your list of questions at the end, and I echo the sentiments of Brian Foote in his Footenotes article!
    Jonas 제왕카지노

ps. Joan Baez’ cousin!

21. totositehot says:

Toto Benefits for friends who will get rich with “Young and Rich”
    15%, 20% charge coupon for all new subscribers
    If an acquaintance charges, a sharing event that can be paid by a recommended person event money!!! Real batter recognition event given when you become a real batter!!! 토토

22. Hi there to all, because I am truly eager of reading this blog’s post to be updated regularly.

It carries good data.

토토사이트

23. baccaratsite says:

I have read it, but the information is still less than mine, i am wanting to learn more카지노사이트

24. I have been reading this blog for several months and also I am very happy to get many entries from this blog

파워볼사이트

25. I’m more than happy to discover this great site. I need to to thank you for ones time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoyed every part of it 고스톱사이트

26. Thank you ever so for you article post. Really looking forward to read more. Want more. 토토사이트

27. racesiteinfo says:

Best view i have ever seen ! 경마사이트

28. it’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I’m happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing. 토토사이트

29. Very nice article and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you folks have any idea where to get some professional writers? Thank you. 메이저토토사이트

30. millers448 says:

Great Job on your site and I wish you continue the hardworking

31. William says:

The speed of your website and page loading was very slow
    The volume of content is also very large and it is difficult to find the desired content

32. Elizabeth says:

Hi
    Thank you for your very good and useful site
    The content on the website was very interesting

33. Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with 토토사이트365?

34. thank you for sharing this useful article , and this design blog simple and user friendly regards.
    바카라사이트

35. Very soon this website will be famous among all blogging and site-building people, due to it’s nice posts

36. Its not my first time to visit this site,
    i am visiting this website dailly and take nice information from here all the time.

37. 19guide03 says:

This article is in fact a nice one it assists new the web people, who
    are wishing in favor of blogging.

38. toto365pro says:

INTERESTING!! you should upload more☺️ this is really good!!!

39. oncasinosite says:

If some one wishes expert view regarding running a blog afterward i recommend
    him/her to go to see this web site, Keep up the nice work.

40. The content inside the website is interesting and useful, but the volume of content is high and the loading speed of the pages is a bit slow.
    Overall I am satisfied with your website
    Good luck

41. radio-visa says:

42. tourism0098 says:

Hi

43. jangalnews says:

Excellent blog right here! Also your web site so much up very fast!

What host are you using? Can I get your associate hyperlink to your
    host? I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours

44. فرازطب says:

طی تحقیقات علمی ای که انجام شده

قرص AHCC
    حتی روی کوچکترین بیماری ها از سرماخوردگی و آنفولانزا گرفته تا بیماری های بزرگی مثل سرطان، هپاتیت، دیابت و بیماری های قلبی عروقی و درمان زگیل تناسلی تاثیرات فوق العاده خوبی داشته و به همین دلیل است که هم اکنون شیتاکه یکی از پرطرفدارترین و معروف ترین ترکیباتی است که در انواع قرص های تقویت سیستم ایمنی استفاده می شود.

45. Thank you for this provoking unique post. well its well known dude

46. iros says:

Even weirder, that guy is Joan Baez’s cousin!

47. Sina Sarlak – “Bekhand Refigh” > New Song > Download With Text And 320 & 128 Links In Musico

48. dayan says:

Arad – “Tanhaei” > New Song > Download With Text And 320 & 128 Links In Musico

49. Mahtuta – “Tavalod” > New Song > Download With Text And 320 & 128 Links In Musico

50. Thank you! great share

51. vibesnmore says:

Cool one bro
    i love this

52. naijapickup says:

i love this keep it up

53. iptv bayilik says:

thanks for sharing

54. Fried Jam says:

The first time I looked at that website it was like going to the hagga-sophia.
    https://zablast.com/

55. DOWNLOAD says:

Great Bitrus I don’t know the guy

56. Rema says:

57. Soft says:

This is awful and is right here for your fast learn

58. swtor says:

There absolutely are a bunch of them also so be well prepared. They vary in differing teams of produced items as outlined by what skill you’ve opted and also by ascending level of skill inside the crafting skill too from the scale of 1-400 skill.

59. Jonas Reitz says:

Okay, I finished it. Hunter, thank you for this beautiful and thought provoking post, and for raising the bar for the CUNYMath Blog. I love your list of questions at the end, and I echo the sentiments of Brian Foote in his Footenotes article!
    Jonas
    ps. Joan Baez’ cousin!
    pps. Had to spend some quality time looking at pics of the hagga-sophia. Wow.
    EDIT: Brian Foote (not Justin). Mah baad.

60. Pingback: Round Up! : Footenotes

61. I know!

62. Jonas Reitz says:

Hunter, I must admit I made it just about halfway through your latest post before being distracted by your link to the page on “roots” (http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/roots/), and, surfacing from this page a half hour later, my mind is blown! Wow, it makes me so happy when I see new ways to look at things that are fundamentally old, like solutions to polynomials (or the visualization of the Sieve of Eratosthenes that appeared on the cover of the May08 Notices, here: http://www.ams.org/notices/200805/200805-full-issue.pdf). I’ll continue with your article now, looking forward to it…
    -Jonas