About the header image – the Cairo Tessellation

The header image was created by Richard Sheinaus, Director of Graphic Design at CUNY Central.  It depicts a tiling of the plane known as the Cairo Tessellation, so-called because it appears in the paving of several Cairo streets.  It has many notable properties, not least of which is that it may be our best approximation of a mathematical impossibility: a regular pentagonal tiling (in the case of the Cairo Tessellation, the pentagonal shape is not regular — not all sides and angles are equal — which saves us from a universe-destroying contradiction).

For more information, check out Wikipedia and the somewhat more exhaustive Dave Bailey’s World of Escher-like Tessellations.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to About the header image – the Cairo Tessellation

1. Do you like jigsaw puzzles? And are you keen on solving the most difficult problem? Then, this awesome flash unblocked games Truck loader is just for you. You need to load the truck but think twice before making one single move. You must keep a cool head to win this game. Really nice gameplay and simple controls also will make the game process breathtaking. Feeling interested? Then, launch the game as fast as you can.

2. mage was created by Richard Sheinaus, Director of Graphic Design at CUNY Central. It depicts a tiling of the plane known as the Cairo Tessellation, so-called because it appears in the paving of several Cairo streets.

3. mPulsa says:

Very interesting pattern, great color combination and shape. By the way where you get it? Currently I’m looking for header image for my personal blog.

4. jadimodal says:

one of the best post you shared ever… I have a lot of questions but there I can’t speak to you but I would like to talk to you

5. Thank you for a grat article!
    Very useful!

6. Pingback: About the header image – A reprise | CUNYMath Blog

7. Pingback: “Anything on TV tonight?” Round Up : Footenotes