css.php

The Developmental Math Challenge and Statway at LaGuardia – Part I

Statway: a Gateway to Graduation

I have been an assistant Professor at LaGuardia Community College’s department of Mathematics, Engineering, and Computer Science since Fall 2012. My background is both theoretical Physics and Statistics, and I have an extensive teaching and research experience in a wide range of areas and skill levels of Mathematics and Physics in countries like Colombia, England, and US.  I started teaching developmental math and Statistics in 2010 as an adjunct at Bronx Community College; there and then I was confronted, for the first time, with the challenge of teaching developmental level courses.

It is well known that the institutional profiles of CUNY’s community colleges are similar: large representation of minority groups, very diverse backgrounds, and notoriously challenging lives.  For instance, LaGuardia Community College has a very diverse population where students come from about 154 different countries and speak more than 125 different languages (see LaGuardia’s Institutional Profile).

As in many other community colleges, CUNY and nation-wide, students struggle with developmental skill courses, especially with developmental math. Only at LaGuardia, about 80 percent of the students require developmental skill courses out of which about 70 percent require at least a basic skills math course. Many students are trapped in the remedial loop spending long periods of time taking again and again basic skill courses and leaving college without any credits earned. A recent article in the New York Times featured the story of one of our students and his struggle with math (see Long Road to Graduation, NYT Oct 3, 2014).

Nationwide the statistics are not better:

• Over 60 percent of the nation’s 14 million community college students are required to take at least one developmental math course before they can be enrolled in a college-credit course (American Association of Colleges, 2014),
  • 80 percent of the students who are initially placed in developmental math do not succeed in any college-level math courses within the next three years (see Achieving the Dream, 2006 and Baily et. al, 2010).

In 2009, The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancing of Teaching joined with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Kresge Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York and Lumina Foundation to solve this problem. The video below clearly presents The Developmental Math Challenge, and how the Carnegie’s Pathways initiative has set its goal: “Reclaiming students’ mathematical lives”.

The Carnegie Foundation created an innovative and transformative program that is organized around two mathematics pathways: Statway and Quantway, the Carnegie’s Community College Pathway’s program aims to accelerate student’s progress through their developmental math sequence and a credit-bearing college-level course.

In addition to reducing the length of the path to credit-bearing courses, the curricula are designed to improve contextualization of the content and pedagogy of developmental mathematics. In their first 4 years of implementation in colleges, the success rate of students enrolled in Statway is “three times as effective in half the time” the traditional path (Yamada, Nov. 2014).

In January 2013, LaGuardia joined the Community College Pathway’s program. Being part of the program means becoming a member of the Carnegie’s Networked Improvement Community (NIC). The NIC was created in 2010 and launched in colleges in the academic year of 2011/2012.

The NIC is a scientific learning community that “joins community college faculty with Carnegie’s improvement specialists and national education researches. Together they engage in discipline inquiry using common conceptual frameworks, measures, and inquiry protocols to advance measurable improvements in teaching and learning.” (Berwick, 2008, Langley et al. 2009)

The network of colleges developing, improving, and using the Pathways: Quantway or Statway are part of the NIC where we test hypotheses and analyze local adaptations to ensure effectiveness, and over time contribute to the ongoing modification of Pathways. Currently, 58 colleges nation-wide are part of Carnegie’s Pathways NIC, serving approximately five thousand students. The table below summarizes the innovative programs developed, implemented and used by a college that is a member of the Pathways’ NIC.

Pathway Description CUNY colleges
Statway Two-semester pathway that replaces the traditional algebra sequence and allows developmental math students to earn college-level credit for statistics in a single academic semester. Statway integrates developmental mathematics skills and college-level statistics into a collaborative, problem-based class. LaGCC (2013)
Quantway Designed as two separate semester-long courses. Quantway 1 fulfills the requirements for students’ entire developmental math sequence. Quantway 2 is a college credit-bearing quantitative reasoning course. Each course is designed to promote success in community college math and cultivate quantitatively literate citizens. BMCC (2012)KCC (2014)

Here at LaGuardia, we have been implementing a unique version of Statway since the Fall 2013. LaGuardia faculty involved in this effort are Drs. Prabha Betne, Steven Cosares, Glenn Henshaw, Marina Nechayeva, Shenglan Yuan, and me. We have taught and/or have attended orientation workshops and forums lead by the Carnegie Foundation. Here we are uniquely implementing Statway as an Algebra-enhanced course that students take over the course of one term only (instead of two as in the original Statway program). This course is an intensive 7-hour per-week class.

Our outcomes from the Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 pilot implementation indicate that by offering this option for students, we are giving them a bridge to successfully finish their degree through contextualized math content and exposure to psychological interventions that improve their attitudes towards math and learning.

Part II of this blog post will present the details of our implementation of Statway at LaGuardia. I will describe the key components that make this curriculum different from any other traditional math course, e.g. productive struggle and growth mindset interventions. Part III, will present the main outcomes of this initiative and how we are working to scale the course and have it as a permanent offering for LaGuardia students.

Achieving the Dream. (2006c, November/December). Developmental math students and college-level coursework. Data Notes, 1(8).
Bailey, T., Jeong, D.W., & Cho, S. (2010). Referral, enrollment, and completion in developmental education sequences in community colleges. Economics of Education Review, 29(2), 255-270.
 Yamada, H. Nov. (2014) Community College Pathway’s Success: Assessing the First Two Years; Effectiveness of Statway.
 Berwick, D.M. (2008). The science of improvement. Journal of the American Medical Association299(10), 1182-1184.
 Langley, G. J., Moen, R. D., Nolan, K. M., Nolan, T. W., Norman, C. L., & Provost, L. P. (2009). The improvement guide: a practical approach to enhancing organizational performance (2nd ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

86 Responses to The Developmental Math Challenge and Statway at LaGuardia – Part I

1. Orthodontist in Bangalore says:

Cool stuff you have and you keep overhaul every one of us
    Orthodontist in Bangalore

2. lisa says:

Thank you for this outstanding piece of information. Finishing a programming degree program in any U.S. college involves completing a ton of programming assignments. If you would like someone to Do my Programming homework make an order now.homestay ayer keroh

3. lisa says:

Thank you for this outstanding piece of information. Finishing a programming degree program in any U.S. college involves completing a ton of programming assignments. If you would like someone to Do my Programming homework make an order now.cat care

4. Pediatric dentists says:

I feel very grateful that I read this. It is very helpful and very informative and I really learned a lot from it.Pediatric dentists

5. digitaltucr says:

I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.Thanks alot!
    ExcelR digital marketing course in sydney

6. I am looking for and I love to post a comment that ExcelR Top Digital Marketing Courses In Pune “The content of your post is awesome” Great work!

7. It has fully emerged to crown Singapore’s southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that.
    360digitmg data scientist certification malaysia

8. ameer says:

Excelr is providing emerging & trending technology training, such as for data science, Machine learning, Artificial Intelligence, AWS, Tableau, Digital Marketing. Excelr is standing as a leader in providing quality training on top demanding technologies in 2019. Excelr`s versatile training is making a huge difference all across the globe. Enable ?business analytics? skills in you, and the trainers who were delivering training on these are industry stalwarts. Get certification on
    amazon web service course”
    and get trained with Excelr.

9. Expert Digi says:

Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. It contains truly facts. Your website is very valuable. Thanks for sharing.
    Excelr- business analytics courses

10. I think about it is most required for making more on this get engaged
    ExcelR’s Course in Digital Marketing

11. ravali says:

Very nice blog and articles. I am realy very happy to visit your blog. Now I am found which I actually want. I check your blog everyday and try to learn something from your blog. Thank you and waiting for your new post.
    Data science course in mumbai

12. tuky says:

Internet has gone through a drastic change, now pretty much everything you buy from a conventional way can be bought from internet, just like how you buy your grocery from a grocery store; similarly, there are stores for pretty much everything on the internet. In order to locate those stores or pretty much everything on the internet, a specific address is assigned to them, and that address is called IP (Internet Protocol) address. If you are using internet from home, then a specific IP address is assigned to you by your ISP, in order to locate all your activity on the internet. You can find out your IP address by contacting your ISP or you can simply go to strong.Swim with dolphins Kona

13. Invisalign in Bangalore says:

Our center is provided with the most recent state of the art technology & instrumentality for all of your odontologydesires. we tend to believe precise tooth movements.Invisalign in cityInvisalign in Bangalore

14. Abhinav says:

I think about it is most required for making more on this get engaged
    ExcelR’s Machine Learning Courses

15. Abhinav says:

You re in point of fact a just right webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It kind of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a fantastic activity on this subject!
    ExcelR’s Machine Learning Certification

16. ravali says:

Thank you so much for helping me out to find the Data analytics course in Mumbai
    Organisations and introducing reputed stalwarts in the industry dealing with data analyzing & assorting it in a structured and precise manner. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to viewing more from you.

17. Invisalign in Bangalore says:

Many dentistry appliances need fastened appliances however Invisalign are often given to patients World Health Organization wish Associate in Nursing invisible and removable choice.Invisalign in Bangalore

18. nlr says:

You completely match our expectation and the variety of our information.

rpa training course

19. Architects in Bangalore says:

Easy Home has collaborated with all the highest residential architects in metropolis and top design companies in Bangalore and Bharat to supply a cooperative platform for all home-related desires.
    Architects in Bangalore

20. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.

21. I can set up my new thought from this post. It gives inside and out data. A debt of gratitude is in order for this significant data for all,

data analytics certification

22. likhitha says:

Data Analytics course

23. likhitha says:

Artificial Intelligence Certification

24. likhitha says:

Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantastic lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.

machine learning certification

25. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject.

Data Science Course

26. I quite like reading an article that can make people think. Also, thanks for allowing for me to comment!

machine-learning certification

27. Attend The Machine Learning course From ExcelR. Practical Machine Learning course Sessions With Assured Placement Support From Experienced Faculty. ExcelR Offers The Machine Learning course.
    Machine Learning course

28. ronald says:

29. I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work

Data Science Course

30. I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work.

Data Science Course

31. This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this..

Data Analytics Certification

32. Attend The Data Science Course in Bangalore From ExcelR. Practical Data Science Course in Bangalore Sessions With Assured Placement Support From Experienced Faculty. ExcelR Offers The Data Science Course in Bangalore.
    Data Science Course in Bangalore

33. ravali says:

Well, the most on the top staying topic is Data Analytics. Data Analytics is one of the most promising techniques in the growing world. I would like to add Data Analytics training to the preference list. Out of all, Data analytics course in Mumbai is making a huge difference all across the country. Thank you so much for showing your work and thank you so much for this wonderful article.

34. iot training says:

I was taking a gander at some of your posts on this site and I consider this site is truly informational! Keep setting up..
    iot training in malaysia

35. stuart max says:

I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! Coming to the area of focus. I would like to add one more interesting concept Amazon Web Services. Amazon Web Services is the best equip able course in 2019. Specifically AWS Online training is the right destination to master the course.

36. ravali says:

Thank you so much for showing your work and thank you so much for this wonderful article.Out of all, Data analytics course in Mumbai
    is making a huge difference all across the country.

37. saketh says:

After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other Python training in pune readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article.

38. abhinav says:

Machine Learning Training in Pune

39. max stuart says:

Writing with style and getting good compliments on the article is quite hard, to be honest.But you’ve done it so calmly and with so cool feeling and you’ve nailed the job. This article is possessed with style and I am giving good compliment. itil certification

40. Thanks a lot for one’s intriguing write-up. It’s actually exceptional. Searching ahead for this sort of revisions.
    AI course malaysia

41. Kadalayya says:

This is very useful post for me. This will absolutely going to help me in my project.
    Pediatric Dentist in Bangalore

42. saketh says:

I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource Python training in pune free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you!

43. saketh says:

I am looking for and I love to post a comment that “The content Digital marketing in pune of your post is awesome” Great work!

44. saketh says:

I am looking for and I love to post a comment Python training in punethat “The content of your post is awesome” Great work!

45. expert says:

Hi, i have read this article , it was very useful, everything is explained in detail about.
    if you want to learn more about this particular topic then follow this given link : rrb ntpc previous papers

46. sripadojwar says:

47. expert says:

if you want to learn more about this particular topic then follow this given link : previous year question papers

48. saketh varma says:

This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not Digital marketing in pune every day that I have the possibility to see something like this..

49. saketh varma says:

50. sripadojwar says:

Thank you for the good information and blog

51. Attend The Six Sigma Course in bangalore From ExcelR. Practical Six Sigma Course in bangalore Sessions With Assured Placement Support From Experienced Faculty. ExcelR Offers The Six Sigma Course in bangalore.
    Six Sigma Course

52. saketh varma says:

I have to search sites with relevant information on given topic and provide Digital marketing in pune them to teacher our opinion and the article. Digital marketing in pune

53. It should be noted that whilst ordering papers for sale at paper writing service, you can get unkind attitude. In case you feel that the bureau is trying to cheat you, don’t buy term paper from it.
    pmp certification malaysia

54. Attend The Machine Learning course in bangalore From ExcelR. Practical Machine Learning course in bangalore Sessions With Assured Placement Support From Experienced Faculty. ExcelR Offers The Machine Learning course in bangalore.
    Machine Learning course in bangalore

55. After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article.
    data analytics course malaysia

56. pmp certification in bangalore
    What Is PMP®?
    PMP® – Project Management Professional is a credential managed by Project Management Institute, USA (PMI)®. PMP® is a globally recognized certification which demonstrates one’s competency to lead, direct and manage projects across any domain. PMP® certification helps the individuals to increase the marketability of their profiles to the employers and to stand out from the crowd and in maximizing the earning potential of the individuals. The training and certification are based on a Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide 6th Edition).

57. expert says:

I have read about this article it was very useful everything is explained in detail. want to learn more about this article then please follow this given link
    : http://www.excelr.com/robotic-process-automation

58. devi priya says:

59. amazingtarot says:

Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more.

60. Going to graduate school was a positive decision for me. I enjoyed the coursework, the presentations, the fellow students, and the professors. And since my company reimbursed 100% of the tuition, the only cost that I had to pay on my own was for books and supplies. Otherwise, I received a free master’s degree. All that I had to invest was my time.

Big Data Course

61. prathyusha says:

Thanks for sharing this info.I found this one very helpful.There is one more site that I have been following
    data science course

62. devi priya says:

Really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us.Great site and a great topic as well i really get amazed to read this. Its really good.

63. Well, The information which you posted here is very helpful & it is very useful for the needy like me..,

Python course Training

64. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.

Data Science Course

65. Stuart Max says:

Wonderful, I was exploring the internet to meet my need. And now it`s quite fortunate that I came across this website. This is completely informative and lots of things that we can know from this. Looking at trending technologies and their usage determines the impact of turning the world beautiful.

66. Herbalife says:

Dar Song ist einfach 1 Jahr alt und es gibt Leute die erst jtz das kommentiren Alter

67. Wallpaper says:

Wer hat sich auch so gedacht nicer Song und dann nach ein paar Monaten draufgeklickt und sich dann gedacht wtf woher kommen die alle

68. okey says:

Sınavdan Önce; Easy Easy Tamam Tamam
    Sınavdan Sonra; Vurma Vurma
    Babam Babam

69. kaviranjan says:

Attend the Best Machine learning training Courses in Bangalore From ExcelR. Practical Machine learningTraining Sessions with Assured Placement From Excelr Solutions.

machine learning course

70. sneha says:

Beautiful article! I really enjoyed it.
    Data Analytics Courses in Pune.

71. ravali says:

Well, The information which you posted here is very helpful & it is very useful for the needy like me..,Wonderful information you posted here. Thank you so much for helping me out to find

72. This is a similar story to the previous version. I must say things are getting better

73. casadelia says:

Where am I right now? this is a very common search query used by people visiting new areas so as to know what’s their exact location. thanks.

74. Felix says:

Very nice video and math are my one of the best subject. I love the algebra equations. You said right number of students are trapped in the remedial loop Growth Marketing spending very long periods of time taking again basic skill courses and leaving college without any credits earned.

75. Whatever you said and write is right but I like your art skill more than other things. I really love this thing that peoples can draw a lot of things with one marker. I also tried to make a lot of things so many times but I never make anything neat and clean like others…

76. saba says:

Hello, Thank you for any other great post. The place else could anyone get that kind of info in such an ideal manner of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am at the search for such information.convenio de practicas

77. sana says:

Awesome dispatch! I am indeed getting apt to over this info, is truly neighborly my buddy. Likewise fantastic blog here among many of the costly info you acquire. Reserve up the beneficial process you are doing here.prometric exam

78. House says:

Where am I right now? this is a very common search query used by people visiting new areas so as to know what’s their exact location. If you have come with the same query then you are on the correct page. Online home shopping store India

79. House says:

Awesome dispatch! I am indeed getting apt to over this info, is truly neighborly my buddy. Likewise fantastic blog here among many of the costly info you acquire. Reserve up the beneficial process you are doing here.OTIMIZAÇÃO DE SITES

80. House says:

Tanner insists that while our ultimate allegiance as Christians is to God, and that the claim God makes on our lives is unconditional and absolute, we must be very careful making claims in the name of God.Empregos no Japão

81. noor says:

Tanner insists that while our ultimate allegiance as Christians is to God, and that the claim God makes on our lives is unconditional and absolute, we must be very careful making claims in the name of God. creality3d

82. What a great story and it comes

83. What a great story and it comes

84. Tanner insists that while our ultimate allegiance as Christians is to God, and that the claim God makes on our lives is unconditional and absolute, we must be very careful making claims in the name of God. electric mountain bike

85. jannat says:

What a great story and it comes at a time of great success for Rollins…always important to be reminded of the foundation upon which we are built.equipos para spa